About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012) New.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 7, Clinton 6, Boehner 5, Citi 5, Us 5, London 5, Newt Gingrich 4, Washington 4, Michael Johnson 3, Herbert 3, U.n. 3, Usain 3, U.s. 3, Lance Armstrong 2, John Boehner 2, Jack Markell 2, Barack Obama 2, Bny Mellon Wealth Management 2, Bob Marley 2, Jay Leno 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012) New.  

    December 4, 2012
    6:00 - 7:00pm PST  

6:00pm
and isn't looking for attention? >> very thought provoking although perhaps not universally true. like maybe if somebody got a tattoo on their face that said i'm shy. in any event, if it was attention he was looking for, he definitely got it although the romney tattoo will soon fade into nothing but a cheeky memory, eric's place on the "ridiculist," that i promise you, is permanent. that does it for us. see you again one hour from now. another edition of "360" at 10:00 eastern. "piers morgan tonight" starts right now. tonight, is it getting hot in here? it's not your imagination. the world is warming up but why. bill nye, the science guy, takes on global warming scoffer mark morano. >> this will be the hottest two decades in recorded history. >> bill nye has a bunch of scary predictions. >> plus the b word. bipartisan. everybody is talking about hands across the aisle in washington. do they really want to sever them? >> they are going to create people to come together on this and get it done.
6:01pm
>> none of us want to see taxes on middle class folks go up. >> the president is very determined to try to prevent us from going over the fiscal cliff. >> those three guys are here live. and the man who shut down the government under bill clinton. what newt gingrich thinks it will take to avoid that happening again. plus one of my personal heroes, the fastest man in the history of planet earth. ja ma jamaican sprinter usain bolt revealing a talent you may not know he has. ♪ let's get together and feel all right ♪ >> this is "piers morgan tonight." good evening. our big story tonight, you are so hot, america. i mean that literally. the temperature was a balmy 60 degrees this afternoon in new york just outside cnn's studios. the average high temperature in december is normally 43. a warm front has flooded the
6:02pm
lower 48 states. quite extraordinary but is it evidence of man-made global warming? that's tonight's battleground america. joining me now, bill nye the science guy and mark morano, the publisher of climate depo.com. welcome to you both. let me start with you, mark, if i may. you are implacably opposed to the concept of man-made climate change. why? >> we followed the evidence. there are quite literally hundreds of factors that influence global temperature, everything from tilt of the earth's axis to ocean cycles to water vapor, methane, so lar system, if you go down, look at the scientific literature, we are finding reams of data and new studies showing the medieval periods are as warm or warmer today without our co2 emissions. we have gone 16 years without
6:03pm
global warming according to u.n. data and we have the absurd spectacle of people claiming acts of congress can control the weather and make hurricanes less nasty and tornadoes less frequent which by the way none of them are showing any trends at all that are unusual. >> okay. bill nye, your response? >> well, we start talking about the facts, the medieval warming period and roman warming period, those are just in europe. let's see if we can agree on a couple things. do you agree that when i was a kid or when you were a kid, there was 340 parts per million of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere? >> sure. it's rising. what's your point? >> so here's the point, is it's rising extraordinarily fast. that's the difference between the bad old days and now. >> carbon dioxide -- >> much faster than ever in history. >> let him finish, mark. let him finish. >> it's the rate that's of great concern more than the actual --
6:04pm
>> what do you put that rate down to, bill? >> it's human activity. you go back -- this is what i say all the time. you look at the ice and you find bubbles of trapped gas from 200 years ago, let alone 1,000 years ago. there's nobody running around with a hypodermic needle injecting bubbles of gas in ancient ice cores. that's the ancient atmosphere in there so you can determine the co composition quite accurately. >> what are the biggest factors, the man-made factors creating the acceleration of co2 in the atmosphere? >> the biggest thing is when i was 9 years old, the earth's population changed from 2.999 billion to 3 billion. now it's in my lifetime, it's now 7 billion. people trying to live the way we lived in the developed world and we're just burning carbon and
6:05pm
spewing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere at an extraordinary rate. >> mark, if there is a massively increased acceleration in co2 in the atmosphere at the same time that there's been a bigger than double the sizing of the population of the planet, why would that not be linked? explain to me. >> co2 is rising. no one is disputing that. what we just did was waste everyone's time explaining that co2 is rising. the question is what impact does it have on the weather, on climate change. that is where you look at the g geologic records. we had periods with higher co2 and warmer periods with it. you have to go way back for some of that but the bottom line is hundreds of factors are dictating our climate. the medieval warm period was both southern and northern hemisphere. on my website there's literally, it demolishes the idea of a hockey stick, new peer reviewed study so the idea bill nye is going around saying co2 is up, therefore global warming is dangerous, we should be concerned, it's not. it's not dangerous.
6:06pm
the bottom line is all these factors -- >> let me jump in. how do you explain the eastern seaboard, for example, is getting some of the warmest weather it's ever had at the same time that california has been plunged into storm after storm in the last week and you see new york last month had the worst hurricane it's ever endured and so on and so on? how do you explain that we're getting so many of these freakish weather patterns if at the same time you've got all this extra co2 in the atmosphere and all those people now guzzling up power and energy and emitting gases that weren't there before. surely that is evidence, isn't it? >> no. you go to the peer reviewed literature. are you looking at anecdotal evidence. basically global warmists like bill nye say global warming will cause many bad weather events and guess what? bad weather events happen all the time so people look and say look, there's more proof, there's a bad weather event. bottom line, big tornadoes, f-3 and larger since 1950s have dropped dramatically.
6:07pm
bottom line, we've gone the longest period without a major u.s. category 3 or larger hurricane hitting the u.s. since 1900, maybe the civil war. bottom line, new study in the journal nature, peer reviewed, no change in u.s. drought in the last 60 years. bottom line, a new study out shows that drought has not changed in 85 to -- >> let me -- wait a minute. wait a minute. let me add one more bottom line before i defer to bill nye. he knows more about this than i do. another bottom line, the world is indisputably getting warmer. the u.n. weather agency said last week 2012 is on track to become one of the top ten hottest years on record. and all the weird climactic changes we're seeing. bill, over to you. >> this will be the hottest two decades in history, in recorded history. so when you throw around a statement like the u.n. says it's not the hottest 20 years, i got to disagree with you.
6:08pm
there may be some surface data shows that in certain cities. >> here's my point to you, mark. it's a straightforward one, really. if you are wrong, then the implications for the planet are utterly catastrophic. in other words, if you and the climate change -- well, let me finish. if the anti-climate change brigade win the argument and nothing is done because you convince people nothing needs to be done and you're wrong, then in 100, 200 years, we'll have caused devastation for the planet that will then be irretrievable. if however you are right in what you say and this is unnecessary and overreaction and so on, what you're seeing is a bit of economic hardship in the short term to deal with what may not be as big a problem as you think it is. >> why? because every proposal ever done including the united nations kyoto protocol would not impact the temperatures assuming you buy into their science. >> we're not talking about the temperature. >> we're talking about a climate
6:09pm
bill in the united states. president obama was telling people it will keep the planet four or five degrees cooler for our grandchildren. if you actually do -- >> co2 -- >> -- you are getting 1,000 plus cold plants, there are 1.3 billion people don't have running water and electricity. if we actually go the route of trying to stop carbon-based energy which has been their lifeline which would lower infant mortality and long life expectancy it would be the most immoral position you can take. bottom line is even if skeptics are wrong the solutions that the global warming alarmists would propose would have not detectible impact. >> if we were to begin to reduce carbon emissions, have the united states for example lead the way in this new technology, especially energy transmission, energy storage, electricity, we could change the world. we could get everybody a much higher quality of life than they would otherwise have. the problem is so many people live near the coasts and they are very old economic reasons. people lived on rivers since the beginning of human history so as
6:10pm
sea levels, as the world gets warmer and i take it he doesn't disagree the world's getting warmer. so ice is also falling off the ice sheets so that ice is up on land. this is also going to cause the sea level to rise. so for example, in the case of sandy, which was not an especially big hurricane, the economic impact was $30 billion and that's in the developed world where we have the resources to deal with it. when you have people displaced on a continental scale, we're not talking about a few people trying to get through a fence at a border between countries. we're talking about tens of millions of people trying to move north, trying to move out of southeast asia. you're going to have trouble. so the sooner we get start ored that problem, the better. >> these predictions are based on climate models -- >> i appreciate your yelling. that's good. >> mark, do you accept that the ocean levels are rising, that
6:11pm
the planet is getting hotter, that co2 emissions have dramatically increased in the last 50 years, and ice sheets are shrinking and the planet population is doubling and accelerating at a terrifying rate, and that the combination of all these things is likely to be a major problem for the next two or three generations, and therefore, doing nothing shouldn't really be a sensible responsible option. >> doing nothing, first of all the united states did nothing, co2 emissions are dropping as we move to fracing away from coal so there's nothing to do. there's no way you can solve a nonproblem. sea level has been rising since the end of the last ice age. there's no acceleration. that's meteorological institute said there's no acceleration. >> we just don't agree on the facts. we aren't going to get anywhere. wrnchlg >> where the horror story is in all these predictions. the predictions get scarier and scarier. >> i respect that you have views. i don't think they're facts and
6:12pm
there are many scientists who would take issue with you about the use of the word facts. i'm going to have to wrap it up, i'm afraid. been a spirited debate. i appreciate you both coming on. thank you. a little breaking news footnote for. it's 60 degrees in washington tonight at 9:00 p.m. eastern time on december the 4th. now, that is weird. coming after the break from one load of hot air to another. we'll talk about the fiscal cliff and why a lot of politicians are huffing and puffing and doing absolutely nothing to stop it. take our fut. aids affects us all. even babies. chevron is working to stop mother-to-child transmission. our employees and their families are part of the fight. and we're winning. at chevron nigeria, we haven't had a reported case in 12 years. aids is strong. aids is strong. but we are stronger. and aids... ♪ aids is going to lose. aids is going to lose.
6:13pm
♪ is efficiently absorbed in small continuous amounts. citracal slow release continuously releases calcium plus d with efficient absorption in one daily dose. citracal slow release.
6:14pm
how they'll live tomorrow. for more than 116 years, ameriprise financial has worked for their clients' futures. helping millions of americans retire on their terms. when they want. where they want. doing what they want. ameriprise. the strength of a leader in retirement planning. the heart of 10,000 advisors working with you one-to-one. together for your future. ♪ neural speeds increasing to 4g lte. brain upgrading to a quad-core processor. pre-cognitive intelligence with googlenow complete. introducing droid dna by htc.
6:15pm
it's not an upgrade to your phone. it's an upgrade to yourself. wanted to provide better employee benefits while balancing the company's bottom line, their very first word was... [ to the tune of "lullaby and good night" ] ♪ af-lac ♪ aflac [ male announcer ] find out more at... [ duck ] aflac! [ male announcer ] ...forbusiness.com. [ yawning sound ] the speaker's proposal right now is still out of balance. he talked for example about $800 billion worth of revenues but he says he's going to do that by lowering rates, and when you look at the math, it doesn't work. >> president obama telling
6:16pm
bloomberg tv the republicans' math just doesn't work. of course, the gop is delivering the same message about the white house plan. today, a bipartisan group of governors went to the white house and capitol hill, urging both sides to make a deal. two of those governors join me now. governor gary herbert of utah and jack markell of delaware, chair of the national governors association. welcome to you both. interesting day for you because you managed to talk to the president and john boehner, when they can't be bothered to talk to each other. so what did you discover? let me start with you, governor herbert. what was your take on the two meetings? >> well, we were honored to be invited. i think too many times, the states and governors have been overlooked and underappreciated and almost a second thought when it comes to some policies made so i applaud jack's leadership in getting us together in a bipartisan way through the national governors association. i thought we were well received. i think the president and the speaker and majority leader was appreciative of our insight and
6:17pm
our concerns about them going over the fiscal cliff. >> right, but i mean, jack markell, that's all very well, i'm glad you all got on so swimmingly but what is actually going to get done here? there are 28 days to go until we fall off this cliff and the american people are frankly sick and tired of waiting for a bunch of politicians to try and sort something out and just play politics, just get on with it. >> well, we had a productive conversation with the president and his team as well as with the speaker and his team and the majority leader. and our perspective was really to say states can -- may be affected by some of the decisions you're making and we want to be at the table. and that it's really important from an economic perspective, for example, that taxes on middle class people don't go up because that could be really bad for the economies in our states, as you're thinking about other changes, whether it's in the tax code or whether it's in cuts, if
6:18pm
states are affected, we ought to have a seat at the table. that was really our message to all three. we said at the outset we're not embracing one plan or the other. i believe that they clearly want to get it done and we're hopeful that they will. it's important that they get it done soon. >> right. governor herbert, they've got to get it done because if they don't get it done, then it's going to rebound badly on your party more than the democrats because all the polls say that two-thirds of americans would blame the republicans for not getting this done, which may or may not be fair, but that's politics and that's reality. now, the sticking point on your side seems to be look, we don't want to have a plan that we sign up to that means 2% of the wealthiest americans have to pay more tax and certainly not without the kind of spending cuts we're looking for. but america doesn't agree with that, either. america, two-thirds of all people polled say they're quite happy for the richest 2% to be taxed. don't you feel like you're batting the wrong kind of game here? >> well, that's for the congress to decide and that's part of the
6:19pm
debate. it's always easy for somebody to say let's tax the other guy, not me. i think part of the situation is going to be deciding revenue enhancements, whether that's closing loopholes or raising rates or as we've done in utah, grow the economy which is another way to increase revenue, and there's a debate on what cuts are going to be made and are entitlements on the table. so i expect that's going to be part of the discussion. what we're wanting to say to the congress and the president today, though, as a state, we want you to get it done. compromise ought not to be a dirty word. there ought to be the fact that the good people can come together, find common ground and keep in mind what's in the best interests of the economy of america and the taxpayer, and find a solution. putting this off and procrastination and kicking it on down the road is not an option. we as governors are saying get it done, it's going to impact our states. we're prepared to help you. we'll take less money as states.
6:20pm
give us more flexibility, we'll fit within some parameters and we can help you balance your budget. >> i like the sound of that. governor markell, the bottom line surely here is that if they got a deal done tomorrow, it would be a massive stimulus to not just america's economy but the global economy. it would probably kick-fire a fantastic christmas for american businesses and everyone could go to christmas and have a great holy with their family and be grateful to republicans and democrats but if we don't get to christmas with a deal, it's going to ruin everybody's christmas, going to ruin everyone's economy and everyone is going to hate every politician. >> one of the things that we talked about today was the need for certainty, particularly for the business community. we all want the business community to be investing to hiring and as long as there's a lack of clarity in terms of what it's looking like going forward, they're less likely to do that. the other thing we talked about and this is something governor scott walker of wisconsin
6:21pm
brought up, we're concerned not just about the fiscal impact but we're also concerned about economic growth. as governor herbert said, we all want to see growth and the president was very interested in that. we talked about, for example, infrastructure. you know, roads and bridges are not democratic, not republican, and it is hard to understand how our country now has infrastructure that's not as advanced as china, singapore and so many other places. those are investments that we can make now, putting jobs to work now, putting people to work now and also that will lead to long term growth. of course, we got to find out how we pay for it. >> governors, thank you both very much. i appreciate you joining me tonight. >> thank you. >> thanks. i now want to bring in a man who says president obama's plan would create jobs and cut the deficit. he's democratic congressman chris van hollen, maryland, ranking member of the house budget committee. welcome to you, sir. you said today -- >> good to be with you. >> good to be with you, too. we're in the fourth quarter as we approach the fiscal cliff. if we can deliver like rg iii
6:22pm
delivers, we'll be doing well. the question i would ask is why the hell are we in the fourth quarter? why wasn't this done in the first quarter? >> well, piers, as you know, there were a number of efforts before the election to get this done and there were major differences between the parties, and those parties became a big part of the conversation during the presidential debate. the president could not have been clearer that he wanted to do two things. he wanted to boost economic growth by doing things like investing in our infrastructure which used to be a bipartisan idea, but also, extending middle class tax cuts and as you said, asking the wealthiest to pay a little bit more to reduce the deficit. that was part of the conversation. so we would hope that the election would break a little bit of this logjam. obviously that hasn't happened yet. the president's put his plan on the table. i'm still very hopeful, piers, that we'll get there. i agree with you, it would be better to get there sooner rather than later.
6:23pm
time is running out. no doubt about it. >> one of the big problems it seems to me is the relationship between john boehner and barack obama. just seems deeply flawed. they're at a party and they couldn't be bothered to shake hands. this is not the kind of way that adults, politicians, behave, is it, in a civilized society. they should be able to shake hands, be friendly, then get behind closed doors, shout at each other and get a deal done. but these two, they don't seem to have any time for each other at all. that can't help the process. >> well, piers, i wouldn't read too much into the christmas party at the white house. as i think you know, there are long lines to get your pictures taken with the president. speaker boehner has had his picture with the president many times. the president has had his picture with speaker boehner. but look, the important thing as you say is to get everybody together. now, the president's plan is very clear. he spells out exactly how he's going to get the revenue and he's very detailed about the
6:24pm
cuts. what we would like to see is a similarly detailed plan from speaker boehner. as the president said, when you look at the revenue number they propose, for example, they don't tell you how they do the math. so in addition to being not enough revenue, not even as much revenue as is imbedded in the bipartisan simpson-bowles plan but in addition to not being enough, they don't tell you how to get it. when it comes to cuts, the president has also spelled out his cuts and it would be very useful if our republican colleagues would spell them out so we could see where they might match up and where they don't. >> congressman, thank you for joining me. >> thank you. thanks, piers. coming up, a man familiar with washington battles that go down to the wire. former speaker newt gingrich who once shut down the entire government. [ male announcer ] the way it moves. the way it cleans. everything about the oral-b power brush is simply revolutionary. our unique brush head cleans in three directions with up to 50% more brush movements than leading sonic technology.
6:25pm
oral-b power brushes. go to oralb.com for the latest offers. well, having a ton of locations doesn't hurt. and a santa to boot! [ chuckles ] right, baby. oh, sir. that is a customer. oh...sorry about that. [ male announcer ] break from the holiday stress. fedex office. [ male announcer ] break from the holiday stress. a hybrid? most are just no fun to drive. now, here's one that will make you feel alive. meet the five-passenger ford c-max hybrid. c-max says ha. c-max says wheeee. which is what you get, don't you see? cause c-max has lots more horsepower than prius v, a hybrid that c-max also bests in mpg. say hi to the all-new 47 combined mpg c-max hybrid. why should saturday night have all the fun? get two times the points on dining in restaurants,
6:26pm
with chase sapphire preferred. good afternoon. chase sapphire. (push button tone) this is stacy from springfield. oh whoa. hello? yes. i didn't realize i'd be talking to an actual person. you don't need to press "0," i'm here. reach a person, not a prompt whenever you call chase sapphire. every human being is unique. and there is one store that recognizes it. the sleep number store. the only place in the world you'll find the extraordinarily comfortable sleep number experience. an exclusive collection of innovations that totally individualize your sleep. perfectly comfortable pillows that adjust to your size and shape. temperature-balancing bedding. dual warmth comforters. all designed around the sleep number bed: a bed with dual-air technology that allows you to adjust to the support your body needs. each of your bodies. in the name of human individuality: the sleep number collection.
6:27pm
discover how our sleep professionals can individualize your sleep experience. exclusively at one of our 400 sleep number stores nationwide. sleep number. comfort individualized. this holiday season, give the gift that's magical: the innovative airfit adjustable pillow at special 30% savings.
6:28pm
they'll dance around, play games, hold press conferences, meet with rallies and at the last second, in a magic moment, they will have a secret meeting from which they'll produce a gigantic document which no one will understand. we should have had a drinking game. every time for the next six
6:29pm
weeks you hear the word fiscal cliff you get to drink. the country won't be able to drive. people will have to walk to work. >> newt gingrich telling jay leno about his novel approach to fiscal cliff, one i heartily endorse. the former speaker of the house is familiar with economic crises, his battle with president clinton twice led to government shut-downs. his new book is "victory at yorktown." he joins me now. welcome, mr. speaker. i thoroughly enjoyed your suggestion for a drinking game, fiscal cliff. trouble is if you had it for every time that phrase got mentioned we would all be paralytic by midday. >> think how much less worried we'd be. >> you are the perfect guy to talk about this, because i'm getting increasingly fed up, bored, miserable with the whole thing. i wake up in the morning with fiscal cliff reverberating in my brain and i can see politicians playing the very game that you alluded to there on jay leno and it is a game for them but for other people, it's a very real thing. and the economy at the moment is completely stagnant waiting for
6:30pm
something to happen. you've been in a position of very negative government shutdown with president clinton and a very positive, where you and he in the second term got together, got stuff done and as you saw, a surplus in the economy. so you know what the reality of these debates are like and what it's likely to be going on behind closed doors. what is the way through this and how is this likely, in your expert opinion, to be resolved? >> first of all, i think it took the very tough two closings of the federal government, one for six days, the other for 21 days, in order to get to a point where we were able to negotiate seriously to get welfare reform which was vetoed twice and then signed, and then to get four consecutive balanced budgets which was a pretty substantial accomplishment. the only time in your lifetime we've had four consecutive american balanced budgets. i think it's a combination of how you get to that. i am frankly not at all encouraged by what i see and a little bit worried about it. i think first of all, let me lay my cards on the table.
6:31pm
i think that no deal is better than a bad deal. i think going off this cliff is less dangerous than letting things build up for a year or two years to have an even bigger cliff. i think that the president clearly has staked out a position of nonseriousness an think that it's very difficult for the house republicans right now to find any practical way to get his attention. so he just won an election, he's feeling very good about himself, he is posturing brilliantly, he's putting the republicans in a corner. they need to relax. they don't have an election until november of 2014. they need to say look, you want to negotiate seriously, we'll sit down and talk. you don't want to negotiate seriously, the country will survive going off this cliff. it's largely a factor in terms of american history, the people will not look back on as a giant tragedy. we need to have serious effort to get this country reorganized and i see no sign that the political system today is at all
6:32pm
prepared for that kind of serious thinking. >> but what is so serious about the thinking of a party that just is implacably opposed to raising income tax even for the richest 2%? because the american people don't give a stuff. in all the polls, two-thirds of them are yes, let's tax the wealthiest 2% and by the way, that's me and you, newt. i don't know about you, i'm quite happy to pay a little bit more if it helps the general good. are you? >> well, piers, i'm happy for you to paty it, too. if you want to write a check this evening, the treasury will accept it. i'm delighted with your sense of citizenship. >> that wasn't my question. my question is are you personally prepared to pay more tax? would you be happy to? >> of course i'm prepared. no, i wouldn't be happy to. would i be willing to, yes. i wouldn't be happy to. look, i think this is a wasteful, in some ways cronyist government with enormous bureaucracies. let me give you an example. i was just interviewing governor mitch daniel who has done a
6:33pm
brilliant job innovating in indiana for eight years. in indiana they needed $3 billion of additional revenue so they actually privatized their turnpike, got paid $4 billion for it, took that $4 billion of brand new revenue, no taxes involved, and turned that into dramatic infrastructure. they are now using the private sector to build a bridge across the ohio into kentucky in a way that's dramatic, it's going to happen faster, it's going to be less than one half as expensive than the original government proposal. there are a lot of things we could do to solve this budget problem. there are a lot of things we could do to build the infrastructure the governor from delaware was talking about. that's not business as usual. what barack obama's proposing is the same bloated bureaucratic government with the same bloated waste but with more tax money. that's what one economist called socialist austerity. the private sector gets weaker, poorer, has fewer jobs, but we prop up government with higher taxes. i think that's a bad deal for
6:34pm
america. >> right. let's talk about speaker boehner, though, because he's obviously in your position, the one that you occupied, and there is a sense that he and barack obama just don't have much of a relationship. certainly nowhere near as warm and constructive as the one you ended up having with president clinton. >> first of all, we earned -- you have to ask president clinton this but i think it's a fair thing to say. we earned president clinton's respect in part by closing the government twice and being in a very rough and tumble fight. he came to believe we were serious. we were the first republican congress in 40 years but more importantly, we were the first re-elected republican house since 1928. that happened i think because we showed we actually were serious people willing to take the heat, willing to do what it took and willing to work our way to get real solutions. i would say that president clinton and i developed a relationship out of recognizing that we both had to be in the same room, we both had to bring
6:35pm
two sides of the constitution. this isn't the president dictating. this is the president representing the executive branch and speaker boehner representing the legislative branch and they have to have mutual respect. i don't sense any mutual respect right now and i think what you're getting is political games, but respect has to be earned and i think that's probably going to require the house republicans to raise the ante dramatically on the president. >> well, tough talking words. i'll expect nothing else from you, newt gingrich. your new book is "the american legacy" book tour. you're on it with calista your lovely wife. i'm looking forward to reading the book and speaking to you again in the near future. good to talk to you. >> thank you. coming up next, after talking about people who are moving at naught miles an hour to get anything done, i will talk to somebody who moves faster than any human being has ever moved in the history of
6:36pm
planet earth. and he's hilarious and he sings like bob marley. usain bolt. questions?
6:37pm
anyone have occasional constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating? yeah. one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. approved! [ female announcer ] live the regular life. phillips'.
6:38pm
[ female announcer ] live the regular life. why they have a raise your rate cd. tonight our guest, thomas sargent. nobel laureate in economics, and one of the most cited economists in the world. professor sargent, can you tell me what cd rates will be in two years? no. if he can't, no one can. that's why ally has a raise your rate cd. ally bank. your money needs an ally.
6:39pm
the very true definition of a champion, usain bolt is hands
6:40pm
down the fastest person on the planet but the fastest guy who ever run in the history of planet earth. the world watched him win three more gold medals at the london olympics and shatter record after record. simply put, there's no one else quite like the golden bolt. if i sound excited it's because you're my hero. apart from the fact you support a terrible british soccer team, you are my hero. how does that make you feel? >> feel good. feel good. >> how many people do you meet on a daily basis who go you are my hero? >> a lot of people. especially when i travel, i get a lot of that. it's cool. >> when i was young, there was something about, i remember my first olympics, i really noticed was when bortsov won the 100 meters. the russian. from that moment, there are lots of great events at the olympics but for me, the 100 meter dash is the greatest test of a man. >> that's true. >> how do you feel? when you get down on those blocks and you are bye to explode, what actually goes through the golden bolt's mind?
6:41pm
>> all i try to do is relax, really. for me, i just try to compose myself, try to not think about anything because as soon as something comes in your mind, then you are in trouble. for me i try to clear my mind as quickly as possible and take some deep breaths. >> my theory is that you were deliberately not running that quick for the previous year and a half, luring us all into this sense that it was all over, finished, he can't do it anymore. blake's going to take him. i thought no, he's not. you were saving yourself. >> a lot of people -- i think when you win the championship, at times, even a big championship, at times you get a little off track because you're the best and you're happy and you're proud of yourself so you tend to celebrate and enjoy yourself a little bit too much and lose focus. but that's why it's good to have a good team around you. so your team can support you and continue to just push you forward, really. >> what does it take to be a champion? not just any old champion, to be a great champion?
6:42pm
>> well, it's just hard work. for me it was just hard work and dedication. as i said, you just need a team because for me, i remember this year, i was doing well, doing well, then all of a sudden, got to the trials, i lost and i was like whew. then i refocused and i really talked to my coach, talked to my friends, talked to my buddies, they came together and explained there's no need to worry. especially my coach. we have three, four weeks to go, one month, let's just put the work in, sacrifice a few things and we'll get it done. i did just that. >> what is it that motivates you most now? is it the winning, is it being the champ, is it money? is it fame? is it the women? is it all of it? >> it's everything. it's the whole package. it's the whole package. everything comes there but for me, the fans are one of the biggest things for me. i really enjoy just going out and performing for the fans. the energy that they give me.
6:43pm
i think this year at the olympics, i went out there and when i got there, there was so much people in the stands that early in the morning, i was so surprised. i was like -- every championship i've been to, it's been like a few hundred people. everybody just comes out, few people might come out and watch because they really like track and field but in london, early in the morning, everybody was out like it was full from the morning session. so for me, an energy i got in london was just wonderful. >> i was walking around london and all i could see were people going like this, everywhere. everyone wanted to be the bolt. >> a lot of that going on. >> is it the secret, because you jamaicans are flying down every track at the moment, winning everything, is the secret yams? is there something in the jamaican yam? >> i used to have a lot of yams. if it was one thing i wasn't short of growing up, it was yams. i don't eat yams that much now. i think i had too much when i was young. >> who are your heroes?
6:44pm
sporting heroes? >> for me, michael johnson was definitely one. don quarry was one because he was a great runner, a 200 meter runner. i remember watching maurice greene, these guys had a lot of energy. >> what about other sports? >> other sports. >> iconic heroes. >> i was into cricket so it was wazamacher. >> great pakistani cricketer. our american viewers have absolutely no idea what we're talking about or who we're talking about. the west indies have just won the t-20 world cup. congratulations. a jamaican leading the battle cry. >> he was doing the gangnam style. >> can you do it? >> i can do a little bit. i don't want to get into that. >> you mentioned michael johnson has been one of your heroes.
6:45pm
i have bad news for you. he doesn't think you can run very well. here's a clip from my interview with him in london. watch this. >> well, i'm a fan of his speed. that's for sure. his style, it's not that great, actually, which is amazing because biomechanically he's not as good as some of the other guys like his countryman, powell, or the american record holder, tyson gay, who are very efficient, very good sprinters technically. bolt is not as good as they are technically which is just amazing because if he were, just imagine what he could run. >> so he doesn't think you can run very well. your thoughts? >> i remember at the olympics -- >> coming from him, he hasn't exactly got the most graceful style, has he? >> i remember at the olympics, the first olympics in beijing, i remember when i was going to run the 200 meters, they said oh, michael johnson, do you think he will break the world record. he was like no, i don't think he's technically not right, he needs to work on his form. and when i broke it he was like okay.
6:46pm
so i'm saying, everybody has their own opinion on things and i think he has a fair opinion on my technical side, it is not perfect, but i'm getting there. >> when we come back, want to talk about lance armstrong and cheating in sport. [ male announcer ] red lobster's crabfest ends soon. hurry in and try five succulent entrees, like our tender snow crab paired with savory garlic shrimp. just $12.99. come into red lobster and sea food differently. and introducing 7 lunch choices for just $7.99.
6:47pm
of washington about the future of medicare and social security. anncr: but you deserve straight talk about the options on the... table and what they mean for you and your family. ancr: aarp is cutting through all the political spin. because for our 37 million members, only one word counts. get the facts at earnedasay.org. let's keep medicare... and social security strong for generations to come.
6:48pm
time for citi price rewind. because your daughter really wants that pink castle thing. and you really don't want to pay more than you have to. only citi price rewind automatically searches for the lowest price. and if it finds one, you get refunded the difference. just use your citi card and register your purchase online. have a super sparkly day! ok. [ male announcer ] now all you need is a magic carriage. citi price rewind. start saving at citi.com/pricerewind.
6:49pm
citi price rewind. it's part of what you slove about her.essing. but your erectile dysfunction - you know, that could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial.
6:50pm
what do you feel about cheating in sport? the reason i ask you is the lance armstrong report came out and was devastating, and every ? the reason i ask you is because the lawns armstrong report came out and was devastating. >> for me it's hard to look into sports and see these things, especially when you're trying to work so hard to convince the people in your sport that we are doing this clean, we're working to do our best and then this comes out. then everybody sits back and really take a view on everybody, all the time back -- for me it's hard. >> should the punishment be
6:51pm
stronger? because at the moment you can come back after suspension and compete in the olympic games. i don't think you should be able to do that. >> it's hard. for some of us you may get an energy drink, you go to a party and you don't want to drink a beer, you're like, let's have an energy drink and they have too much calf teenine or a certain thing that's in there and all of a sudden you're banned for life. and sometimes for me i think the rules are okay now but they're doing a good job to crack down in my sport. i think they're doing good job to catch people and putting themnd pressure. >> how is your singing voice? there's a lot of famous jam ache ands. i want to know if you can sing like marley. >> i got nothing. >> nothing? no game? >> no. i can't really sing.
6:52pm
no. >> not even a bit of -- >> not my thing. i tried, though. >> can you do any bob marley for me? >> the one song i always try -- ♪ one love, one heart, let's get together and feel all right ♪ >> you see, you can sing. i knew you could sing. >> that's the only song i really know so i practice it a lot. >> i knew you could sing. >> it's a world wide song. when i go anywhere answered start singing, the crowd takes over. >> i've never met any westerner that can't sing or play cricket. let's talk football. you're a fan of manchester united. i have my arsenal mug, which has the crowd chanting to it. >> it's broken. >> no, it's not.
6:53pm
>> you're well represented so it's only fair that i represent my team. it's only fair. >> that is the most horrible mug i've ever seen in my mug. -- in my life. >> you know how you have a hero and they say never meet them. that's why. >> let's move on to women. how long is the queue for women trying to get near you at the moment, the nearest ten miles? >> the queue? >> the line. >> there's no queue. i don't know what you're talking about. >> there is a story that there's a woman in your life, that you're happy at the moment? >> i'm single right now. >> you're single? >> yes.
6:54pm
>> so women watching, you're available. so what have you got to offer? other than you're the fastest man of all time, you've got loads of gold on you. >> how many -- as you sit here now, how many do you think you can race in rio? >> i've mentioned this to my coach and i said it to him. we haven't talked about it but i said it to him. he said it depends on how i work throughout the next four years. if i try to push myself too much, i put myselfnd too much strain. it all depends on what i want to do. if i want to take it easy for the next couple of years, just do enough to win or to win championships or something like that, we go all out and just hope for the best in rio. but i think if i manage it right, definitely a possibility i could do it. >> and you'll be wearing these little beauties. >> they're light.
6:55pm
>> they're very light. incredibly light. you wear these? >> yeah. >> these weigh literally nothing. >> that's the key, though. >> the question i always ask, if you had five minutes and i had the power to relive a moment for you from your life, what would you choose? >> world 2002. >> why is that? >> it was a life changing experience. it was in jamaica, i was so nervous at the beginning of the race. i couldn't do anything. i couldn't stride, i couldn't think straight and i won the race on the energy i got from the crowd and the joy and everything, it was just a wonderful moment for me. >> and the final question, another question i ask most of my guests, how many times have you been properly in love in your life? other than with yourself.
6:56pm
>> properly in love i got to go once. >> once? >> i had a girl friend for seven years. >> it she break your heart? >> vice versa. we both had our problems, we both did bad stuff. we're still friends. >> it's been a great pleasure. you remain my hero. put it away, please. great to see you. >> it was a pleasure. >> the one and only usain bolt. we'll be right back. ard to see y in today's challenging environment. unless you have the right perspective. bny mellon wealth management has the vision and experience to look beyond the obvious. we'll uncover opportunities, find hidden risk, and make success a reality.
6:57pm
bny mellon wealth management a new way to save on your prescriptions. it's the aarp medicarerx saver plus plan from unitedhealthcare. with this plan, you can get copays as low as a dollar through a preferred network pharmacy like walgreens -- where you'll find 8,000 convenient locations. best of all, this plan has the lowest part d premium in the united states -- only $15 a month. open enrollment ends december 7th. so call today or visit your local walgreens.
6:58pm
6:59pm

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)